CALENDAR OF UPCOMING MEETINGS
(All City meetings are open to the public)
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
Notice is hereby given that the Roanoke Rapids City Council will hold an evidentiary public hearing Tuesday, October 2, 2018 at 5:15 p.m. at the Lloyd Andrews City Meeting Hall located at 700 Jackson Street to hear the following items:
1. A Conditional Use Permit (CUP) request from Timothy Kirby (Property Owner) for an accessory apartment to the existing single-family residence at 56 Strauther Drive (Halifax Co. Parcel 0902182).
2. A CUP request for “church” use of property at 839 Jackson Street (Halifax Co. Parcel 0900064); the prior use was a funeral home. The CUP applicants are Beulah and William H. Deloatch.
The decision to determine if the project meets the standards is quasi-judicial and subject to procedural due process requirements. Once an applicant makes the showing that the standards have been met, the burden shifts to those who oppose permit issuance to present countervailing substantial, competent, and material evidence that the standards would not be met. When there is substantial evidence on both sides, the City Council makes its determination as to which is correct when making its final decision.
Related information is available for public inspection in the Planning and Development office at the J. Reuben Daniel City Hall, 1040 Roanoke Avenue. Any persons, firms, organizations or corporations interested in this matter are urged to attend the meeting.
The City of Roanoke Rapids will provide reasonable accommodations and services for any qualified disabled person interested in attending the meeting. To request the above you may call the Planning and Development Office at (252) 533-2844 no later than three (3) days prior to the date of the meeting.
City of Roanoke Rapids Now Requires a Business Registration Certificate
Changes to legislation that regulates privilege licenses in 2015 severely impacted the city’s ability to maintain accurate demographic and contact information regarding businesses that operate within the city limits. This information is crucial for Roanoke Rapids Fire and Police Departments so that they can respond to emergencies and conduct fire and safety inspections as required by the State of North Carolina.
Effective July 1, 2016, all businesses engaged in or conducting business within the city limits will be required to obtain a Business Registration Certificate from the City of Roanoke Rapids Tax Department. This certificate will be valid from July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2019 and must be renewed annually. The cost to obtain a registration certificate is $20 for all businesses.
Authorized by the N. C. General Assembly and the Roanoke Rapids City Council, this requirement helps City officials achieve several very important objectives:
- To promote public health, safety, and welfare, and to continue to monitor business activity within the city limits.
- Rapids city limits. Equipped with this information, City officials are able to take steps to ensure that businesses locate and operate in areas that are properly zoned for the particular type of business conducted.
- To provide accurate information regarding local businesses to Police, Fire, 911, county tax authorities and citizens.
In addition to complying with city regulations, businesses benefit from being registered with the City in several other ways. Many banks and lenders require proof that a business is valid to open an account or secure a loan. Potential clients or customers often need assurance that the business is legitimate and properly registered. Having a registered business can make you eligible to receive supplier discounts that you would not receive otherwise. Obtaining a Business Registration Certificate allows a business to satisfy all of these needs.
For more information, please review the Roanoke Rapids Code of Ordinances Title XI: Chapter 118: Business Regulations on the city website at www.roanokerapidsnc.com.
Business owners are urged to download an application from the city website (under Downloads/Tax) or stop by the tax office of City Hall at 1040 Roanoke Avenue. In 2018, renewal applications will be mailed to businesses in June and will be due by July 1.
Itinerant Merchants and Peddlers Must Obtain Permit from City of Roanoke Rapids
Effective July 1, 2016, all itinerant merchants and peddlers conducting business within the city limits will be required to obtain a Permit from the City of Roanoke Rapids Tax Department. This certificate will be valid from July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2019 and must be renewed annually. The cost to obtain this permit is $20.
A reflective safety vest will be required for any individual peddling goods from place to place. The individual must supply his/her own safety vest.
North Carolina general statutes allow local governments to adopt ordinances that regulate, restrict or prohibit the activities of businesses that operate within the city limits. This authority helps City officials in their efforts to:
- Protect the public from fraud or other crimes by monitoring and regulating transient business activity within the city limits.
- Maintain the health, safety and welfare of the public and protect citizens from undue invasions of privacy, annoyance or harassment.
- Ensure that businesses locate and operate in areas that are properly zoned for the particular type of business being conducted.
This permit does not apply to any bona fide charitable, educational, religious, cultural or governmental institution or organization when the proceeds of the sales are used directly for the charitable purpose of said institution or organization.
For more information, please review Roanoke Rapids Code of Ordinances Title XI: Chapter 119: Itinerant Merchants, Peddlers and Vendors on the city website at www.roanokerapidsnc.com.
Business owners are urged to download an application from the city website (under Downloads/Tax) or stop by the tax office of City Hall at 1040 Roanoke Avenue.
PRESS RELEASE - RECYCLING CONTAINER
The City of Roanoke Rapids now has a recycling container at the Public Works facility located at 1313 Hinson Street. The public will have 24-hour access to this facility for combined recyclable materials.
For more information, contact the Public Works Department at (252) 533-2846.
COMMITTEE VACANCIES: Contact Traci Storey, City Clerk, at 533-2840 for committee information.
- Beautification Committee
- Historic Preservation Advisory Committee
- Planning Board/Board of Adjustment (In-Town & ETJ Member)
- Senior Center Advisory Committee
- Library Advisory Committee