Login Form

Main 252-533-2800
Hours Mon - Fri 8:30AM - 5:00PM

The Planning and Development office answers questions concerning zoning matters, new and relocating business applications, 911 addressing, property uses, as well as building permits, building inspections, minimum housing and building codes. The Planning and Development office is also in charge of the Code Enforcement Section (Building Inspections Division) and works to insure that all State Building Codes and local requirements are met. The Planning and Development Office is located on the first floor of City Hall, 1040 Roanoke Avenue and the phone number is (252)533-2844.

The Code Enforcement Section is pleased to offer these permit applications online for your convenience.

Select the permit application of your choice then print the form, fill out the necessary information, and either fax, mail, or deliver the form to City Hall located at 1040 Roanoke Avenue, Roanoke Rapids, NC 27870.

 Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Do I need to obtain a building permit to put up a small out-building in my yard?

A: Maybe, depending on its size, cost and type construction. Every zoning classification has specific setbacks that must be set. Give us a call prior to starting any construction activities to make sure proper setbacks are maintained.

Q: Do I need a permit to install a swimming pool in my yard?

A: Yes, in most cases. Only small kiddie pools do not require a permit. Larger pools require a building permit as well as an electrical permit if a filtration system is to be used.

Q: Is a vehicle not displaying a current license plate considered junk?

A: No. Only if the vehicle is dismantled, wrecked and cannot move under its own power is it considered junk.

Q: Do I need to obtain a permit to put up a fence?

A: Yes. A Zoning permit is required prior to the installation of a fence. Additional specific guidelines which must be followed are also available from the Planning Department.

Q: Does a foundation footing need to be inspected by a Building Inspector prior to pouring concrete?

A: Yes. Various phases of construction must be inspected prior to proceeding further. Brochures are available from the Code Enforcement Section detailing specifics.

Q: How far does an accessory building, such as a shed or garage, have to be from the property line?

A: As a general rule, three(3) feet from any property line not a street right-of-way line. For specific information concerning your situation call the Planning Office at (252) 533-2844.

Leaf Collection Notification

  • Leaf Collection Notifications

      We have started collecting loose leaves in the alleys. Alleys are only collected once during the season. Also, we are still collecting loose leaves on the street front. Reminder that loose leaf season ends at the end of February.       Crews work a daily assigned route and cannot take special requests or...

    Read More ...