Equipment Mechanic I (Garage - Public Works Department)
An employee in this class serves as a skilled mechanic in the garage. This employee performs responsible and specialized skilled mechanical work on a variety of automotive, construction and specialized equipment which will include, but not limited to mechanical work repairing gasoline and diesel motors and engines. They will be performing preventative maintenance, particularly on heavy equipment. The work requires operation of various test equipment and hand tools in order to support the work in both inside and outside environments.
Qualifications include graduation from high school supplemented by course work in repair and maintenance of heavy equipment and engines and considerable experience in automotive and heavy equipment repair.
(Part Time) Daytime Lifeguard (Aquatic Center - Parks & Recreation Department)
An employee in this position assists in all aspects of operations of the recreation center swimming pool and aquatic center. The employee has the responsibility for making sure that the facility is maintained in good condition, to ensure that participants in swimming activities and classes are in a safe and clean environment.
Minimum Qualifications: Must be able to obtain American Red Cross Lifeguard/First Aid/ CPR/ AED certification within 1 month of employment.
Essential duties and tasks:
- Teaches Red Cross swimming lessons
- Provides routine pool maintenance to ensure cleanliness and sage environment for patrons
- Works as a team to provide supervision of a large (sometimes as many as 300 pool patrons - team is comprised of approximately seven lifeguards)
- Works is performed under the general supervision of the Aquatic Center
Firefighter Applicant Pool (Roanoke Rapids Fire Department)
- Must have High School Diploma or GED
- Preferred NC Firefighter II (but not required)
- Must be able to obtain a North Carolina or Virginia Class B driver's license within 90 days of employment
- Must have WorkKeys Silver Certificate (or higher) (Contact Ellen Grant @ Halifax Community College for more information (252) 536-6393
- Must be of good character, be in good physical condition, and pass a background check and drug screening
Applications are now accepted Year Round
Complete application packet should be submitted to Kathy Kearney - HR Manager
Police Officer (Roanoke Rapids Police Department)
An employee in this class performs a full range of federal law enforcement duties to protect life and property in the City.
Basic Law Enforcement Training (BLET) is preferred but not required.
Application Packet may be obtained at City Hall Located at 1040 Roanoke Avenue - Roanoke Rapids, NC or this website (click on Employment Applications in the right hand column on this page)
ALL Positions are Open Until Filled (unless otherwise noted)
The City of Roanoke Rapids is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status,or any other legally protected status.
Applications may be obtained at www.roanokerapidsnc.com
(click on Employment Application on right hand side of this page)
or may be picked up at City Hall – 1040 Roanoke Avenue, Roanoke Rapids, NC
Kathy A. Kearney – HR Manager – City of Roanoke Rapids
Phone: (252) 533-2845 – Fax (252) 537-2097