701 Jackson Street
Phone: (252) 533-2849
Fax: (252) 533-2803
Monday-Thursday 7:30am-5:00pm and Friday 7:30am-12:00pm
Thomas Goble, Senior Center Supervisor
Crystal Burgess, Bus Driver
Jesse Shotwell, Administrative Assistant
Janice Dickerson, Administrative Assistant
- Mondays - Healthy BINGO - 8:45 a.m.
- Mondays - Knitting - 1:00 p.m.
- Mondays (1st & 3rd) - Optimist Club - 6:00 p.m.
- Mondays (2nd) - Movie Mondays - 2:00 p.m.
- Tuesdays - Tai Chi I - 11:00 a.m.
- Tuesdays - Group Fitness - 11:00 a.m.
- Tuesdays (3rd) - Diabetes Support - 11:00 a.m.
- Wednesdays - Group Exercise - 11:00 a.m.
- Wednesdays - BINGO - 1:30 p.m. (Lloyd Andrews Bldg.)
- Wednesdays (1st) - Women’s Ministerial Association - 10:00 a.m.
- Wednesdays (3rd) - Family Care Support - 12:30 p.m.
- Thursdays - Tai Chi II - 11:00 a.m.
- Thursdays - Crocheting - 1:00p.m.
- Thursdays (2nd) - Grief Support - 2:00 p.m.
- Thursdays (2nd) - Roanoke Valley Quilters' Guild - Board 6:00 pm, Meeting 7:00
- Fridays - Yoga 10:00 a.m.
- Fridays - Wii Bowling - 9:00 a.m.
DATES TO REMEMBER
December 5 - Christmas Social 6 - 8pm
December 25 - 26 - Center Closed Christmas Holiday
January 1 - Center Closed New Years
January 8 - Senior Advisory Meeting - 12:15pm
January 15 - Center Closed MLK Day
January 18 - Game Day - 1:30pm
January 19 - Open House 9 - 11am
February 15 - Stew & Sandwich Dinner 4:30 - 6:30pm
March 14 - Game Day - 1:30 pm
March 22 - Senior Easter Egg Hunt & Lunch - 11am
March 30 - Center Closed Easter
April 9 - Senior Advisory Meeting - 12:15pm
April 19 - RV Senior Expo - Kirkwood - 9am - 2pm
May 10 - Spring Luncheon - 11:00 am
May 17 - Game Day - 1:30p
May 28 - Center Closed Memorial Day
Senior's Health Insurance Information Counseling
Senior Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP) Counseling is available throughout the year. People approaching Medicare enrollment or experiencing problems with understanding payment of medical bills should call the Jo Story Senior Center at 533-2849 to schedule an individual appointment for SHIIP Counseling.
Transportation is provided by the Jo Story Senior Center for people 60 years old or older living within the City of Roanoke Rapids or within two miles of the city. The individual must have designated need for transportation assistance as determined through an application process. Transportation is provided to the senior center or for grocery shopping, general shopping, congregate nutrition, and activities sponsored by the senior center. Call the senior center to obtain an application.
The following support groups meet monthly at the senior center: Care Giver Support Group 3rd Wed. 12:30 pm; Diabetes Support Group 3rd Tues. 11 am; Grief Support Group 2nd Thur. at 2pm. Please call the senior center at 252-533-2849 for additional information and to receive the free senior center newsletter.